Saturday, November 19, 2011

"...I was walking far from home...and I found your face mingled in the crowd'





A decision made.
Zok and I are going to try living part of the time in Tasmania (which I do think of as home) and part of the time in Stockholm.
This decision is pretty large, and I can only take the year as I experience it day by day.
I am very excited to move, and be in my own space.
I have always needed my own space and all that goes with a home is very important to me.

Getting an apartment in Stockholm is rough. I think of the process as being like finding a place in a large city such as New York.
Officially we gets keys on December 1st.
We actually do not own anything here- a few odds and ends but very little.
Zok and I have been exploring and do a lot of shopping at second hand stores.
Of course I should buy a kettle...but I only came away with Christmas lights.
Here are the only photos I have of the apartment.
We viewed a lot of them. There was always a huge crowd. The showings are usually short, about a half hour. So each time slot came with twenty people waiting outside the door and crowding in together...
I felt uncomfortable snapping away when people still live in the places and I was surrounded by other people who were viewing the property.

Basically Stockholm apartments are divided by how far they are out on the subway lines.
Not just on a city line, but if they are on a 'good' subway line.
Being on a subway line and not a 'commuter train' or a bus.
Bathtubs, shower stalls are rare. Mostly a corner of the bathroom has a shower head and it is just sort of curtained off.
Balconies are the number one feature people want. So the quality and size of the balcony is very important.
Charm as in marble, inner city ambiance, older windows, beams are very, very expensive. Many of the inner city apartments are very small.
So all in all, we had very few compromises with this apartment. We are ten stops out, but on a good line. With a flat walk to our apartment from the station.
We have a tub, a small second room (read guest room and office). The bedroom is small BUT we have a tiny enclosed sun room or enclosed balcony at the front AND what can only be called a terrace- larger than a balcony. Large enough to fit many Derby girls on a nice summers day.

I will keep posting updates here.
I will giddy with tasks and the amount that needs to be done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and how exciting. All the best heidi x