Friday, July 4, 2014

The Swedish Summer Flow






There is a word in Swedish that people talk about often- 'lugnt' translated often as 'easy' but I get the impression from people that the idea of 'lugnt' is built into the dna of the Swedish people because people swear you can't 'quite' translate it.  I also think of this concept as contributing to the summer flow.  I have never had friends that are so easy going about plans fluxing.  I mean sure, if you make plans with one person, the two of you will usually stick together for most of the evening, but your group will get larger and smaller as the day goes on (and on).  No one gets very fussed if there is a venue change, or the park is so nice everyone just decides to stay.  People will leave for a few hours if they are working out (I am so not kidding) or have to do some errand, and then they meet up back up at the third or fourth place.  I admire the ease, I think I wasted a lot of time looking for parking in L.A. or dealing with a friends angst at being late, or their inflexibility to change bars to make it easier to add in friends from another part of town.

Also when I go out on the town, I remember that with city life comes perks like pinball!  There are a lot of things I like to do, that when I tried to find them in Hobart, people were so - inte lugnt ! about the idea that I have forgotten what I enjoy doing! Pinball is definitely one of those things. We went to a cool pool hall that had decent pinball machines.
I got to go to a good, small club gig which has always been my favorite type of show.  Also I found an adorable cafe on the water, part garden store, part bar and the cafe has a floating sort of hexagon summer house where you can have a quiet, coffee out of the rain.  Of course I am never very mellow about the train schedule after 1 a.m. so mostly that is the hour in which I turn back into my appropriate age group.

Here is a link to a video, of Snowy Dunes the band I went to see:





 

No comments: