Saturday, August 23, 2008

"At Home He Feels Like a Tourist"

Breakfast at 10 a.m., Dinner at 10 p.m.
The coffee in Spain is easy to find, tasty, and about $2., so anything I say about Spain is intrinsically connected to this fact. The city was mobbed; honestly between the heat, traffic, noise, and people, people, people I barely knew if I was coming or going. Everything that we did do, or that we did see I thought beautiful.
Zok's friend Nanou and her boyfriend took us out a couple of the nights we were there, we had Tapas (of course) the first night in the Born District and Sushi the in Gracia District.
I always try to look up places to eat before we visit a new place because being hungry and unable to make decision can turn the world into a dark place. Luckily the Merct de Santa Caterina was in real life experience as good as it appeared to be on the internet. Although my Calexico Spanish, was not very useful and the place was not geared towards tourists, we got our food and coffee in the end. A good breakfast, plus the fortification of caffeine is the key to any good day.

A Rock Widow wandering in Spain.

Mostly we walked and wandered, which seems to be a theme, the lines to get into the Picasso Museum or the Gaudi Museum were a hundred people long. Of course Zok and I knew that traveling in August would have this draw back. Also his work which was seeping through into our Prague break, became less like seepage and more like a steady flow of interruptions. I did though have plenty of people to watch as I waited through various phone calls, I could keep walking, only Zok is the only one of us with a sense of direction.

My obsession with religious art and religion as an art form.

My favorite museum in the world that I know of is 'The Cloisters' in New York City, I would go to the Cloisters every time I went to New York, almost always alone. I have been fascinated with any and all art connected with religion for as long as I can remember. Since I felt myself to be an atheist before I knew the word and long before I could spell it, I find myself defending my love of religious art. (Although it is much better to get gifts of candles and icons rather than someone in your life still gifting you unicorns from some ancient phase in your past). Even if I did not have this propensity towards religious art, I still would have been awed by the churches I just went too.
The Churches in Spain were astounding, the scope and variation drove me to brave the crowds of each one.

Colleen & Zok in Barcelona


This morning I am back in Stockholm, Zok is at a festival somewhere else in Europe. I am going to have one more cup of coffee and then go scour the second hand shops to see if anything new has come in.


No comments: