Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"...Friday evenings people get together...hiding from the weather..."






Zok is home, and we are best described as two planets circling the same sun. Running in sync with each other but not together. For instance, I am elated that my roller derby gear came, but apparently, skating is forbidden in the house. I will be ordering outdoor wheels, immediately. Meanwhile Zok is focused on squashing my enthusiam and cooking. He booked a lay over in Melbourne for a few reasons, but the main reason was his obsession with a certain Mediterranean market on Sydney St. This store has huge wheels of cheese, the actual huge wheels of cheese, Zok is so enamored that only on our third trip did he come upon me having a macchiato at the cafe. Let me explain that each time we went there, I would walk away from him, to leave him alone with his cheese, I would tell him of my plans, have a coffee and then return to him once again. On our third trip, he came upon me and exclaimed, 'There is a coffee shop in here?'.
Along with all the cheese he brought home a bottle of champagne, which prompted my using this as an excuse to drink a bottle of champagne. I tried to be gracious by finding a risotto recipe that involved champagne. Zok got to make a new recipe, we invited over the neighbors and I got to drink champagne. The risotto was very good, Zok used three types of mushrooms as well. As an added surprise, and due to a very rainy day, Zok baked an apple pie. He has baked them before, but to be completely honest, they were a bit lacking. I shouldn't comment because I don't know how to make a pie, and aside from an incident involving a fruit tart that went awry, I never have. This pie however, was perfect. It look pretty, and tasted great.
Mostly we have been get the winter vegetables planted, and watching autumn come on.

6 comments:

Monte Means said...

I was just thinking that I needed a new Colleen blog to read, so thanks for hearing and answering the call. As for the pie, what to say? I think buying a pie from a bakery and trying to pass it off as Zok's is a low point.

But seriously...it looks AMAZING. One question - why was I not offered home-made pie while in Blackmans Bay?

amra said...

WHAT KIND OF CHEESE

Colleen said...

Zok got, Reggiano (36 month), Grand Padano, Asagio, Pyreness, Provolone, Ramono (for grating) and two he can't remember...

amra said...

oh i would like to come over, my two favorite things: cheese and pie. i also like your champagne glass. i am against flutes.

Anonymous said...

it certainly beats House of Pies in my old Los Feliz neighborhood.

cara said...

oops, that was me. i was in too much of a hurry to go out for thai food to sign me name. ;)
loving the blog, btw.