Friday, April 10, 2009

"She feeds you tea and oranges that come all the way from China"

The 'mythical' Fagus



Trail Marker

Rope pull

Autumn snow

The Tarn Shelf in Mt. Field

I am happy to have hiked up to the Tarn Shelf, as it is a bushwalking landmark and people mention it a lot. Also this is where people go to ski but I can't picture skiers on this landscape. I stood staring at the rope pull but the view is overwhelmed by the boulders, how much snow does the area get that people can ski down all those huge rocks?
I have decided that if the ranger station lists a walk as 'experienced' this just means there is no real trail. Just heaps of rocks with markers that are so slight I felt as if I was on a scavenger hunt. Our walk was really silent and I felt as if I was at cloud level. Alas, April made fools of us, because the fagus (fay-gus) was not visible, or should I say that the plant hasn't started to die off and therefore isn't in fall color. The walk was short actual less than five k.m. so not even three miles, yet that distance took us around three hours to scramble up and back down the steep inclines comprised of rocks with just enough short stretches of boardwalk so that hope of being on the right path was maintained.
I am all for local flora, and this hike was not for sissies, but I did find myself reminiscing fondly about the ease of renting a car, and driving though picturesque Vermont in the autumn.
Well as the Australians say, 'One more sleep' until Zok is home. Hurrah!

No comments: