Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Speaking in architectural tongues







I dislike the feeling of homelessness. After I had to sell my house in Seattle, I kept one of my house keys and I wore it around my neck like some superstitious talisman. Sometimes just having my own car was enough to stave of the feeling, so when I was on a road trip across America, that was okay, as I had my car. During the time between graduation and my Visa to Australia being granted I was adrift for over a year, my belongings were in storage, I had some boxes scattered between the people I could impose upon, and a bit stashed away in the apartment in Stockholm, the feeling of homelessness weighed heavily. For me, many such events are cumlative, there have been many times that I counted myself lucky to even have a car to stay in. These times in my life created an attachment to public buildings. Museums, libraries, galleries, and parks. Places where time can be wasted, energy regained, without needing to spend ones money or answer questions. I always gravitate back to these places, if I find myself frazzled in the CBD of Melbourne, I go to the first available public building, usually the national gallery. Inside there is peace and quiet, a bathroom where one can freshen up, and coffee to be had.
Another side effect is my slight obsession with housing. I have always loved to look at historic houses, houses on heritage lists, houses built by notable architects, or simply walking through neighborhoods at dusk, the time of day where glimpses into windows can be taken. Australia is fascinating because building your own home is not just attainable it is a normal event. I meet people all the time who built their homes, planned their gardens, own plots of land. This ability to be able to be a normal person, with a normal income yet still buy land and build a home is almost taken for granted here.
The 'Heide I, and II' is a home in Bulleen, a neighborhood outside of Melbourne central. The house was one of the first modern homes, and is one of a small list of modern homes on the heritage list. Most of the others are in a the Kew neighborhood, but I haven't been able to find them. This one is now officially a museum and therefore public and easily accessed. Like Werribee Park, there are sculptures littered among the grounds, a very popular Australian occurrence, indicating that there is still more room outside then in. Zok finds my desire to visit these places strange, but there are not a lot of open houses in Australia, certainly not like Seattle or San Francisco where I could pretend to be house hunting about once a month. I find nothing more satisfying that being allowed free range into some persons home. Most homes that I would want to see here are not put on the market in that manner so I need to get my fix somehow. I do a lot of house visiting while I am in the U.K. where rich country homes are still open once a month to the public. This is always a good time, but imagine having a home that is later converted into a museum such as the Heide or Rodin's home in Paris. This for me is the pinnacle.

2 comments:

amra said...

I so relate. I hate that feeling too.

brandi said...

ditto. i think this is why subconsciously, i always get a large vehicle (and long for an airstream to pull behind.) beautiful post!