Friday, July 17, 2009

"Now we go steady to the movies I always get chocolate stains on my pants"




I try to do my best to describe my life in Tasmania, or mostly Hobart, mostly just Australia in general.
Sometimes though I think pictures are the means to impart my experiences.
I can not photograph for you, the deep black of the night or the brilliance of the stars as I come home, how I marvel that I can't see even the passenger side of my car as I drive, or how because of this full blackness, I expect the Headless Horseman to appear in my rear view mirror.
I don't think I can explain to most people what it is like to get home after dark, if for some reason a fire couldn't be left to smolder, the compulsion to get the fire going, even if this means forsaking sleep. A compulsion brought on by the fact that the warmest room (not your bedroom) is at best about fifty degrees Fahrenheit.
That is what happened today, a day where I was out all day, due to Derby which can eat a girls life up, like, well, I don't have a metaphor handy, but time seems to be against me, as I am always running late and pushing some errand until the next day.
I then met up with some nice people to go to another movie at our 'gold class' cinema. The time before that Zok and I went, I tried unsuccessfully, to describe why this is worth the huge price inflation, especially as a large perk is meant to be the ability to buy (even higher priced items) to eat and drink. These, however, can be pre-ordered and delivered at intervals during the film. Tonight the movie was a popular one, and as we bypassed the very large, very loud group of people (lined up to go to a regular showing) we whisked into what is not unlike a private airport lounge. At this early point, I was feeling that my (husbands) money was well spent. I also noted something that I wanted to mention-the cloth napkin sitting on the stand or table next to the chair. This napkin is wonderful to ward against chocolate slash food stains.
The seat is a recliner, squishy and again like a first class plane seat, the chair basically reclines to a horizontal position.
I was grateful for the napkin, as mid-way through the movie I went to drink my hot chocolate with Baileys, which I think my Monte would have approved of, although his ability to tolerate the fact that the employee who delivered it was wearing a witch hat...well...
Please enjoy your photos of downtown after 9 p.m.
Please note that this area is actually crowded enough by day to be annoyingly so.


4 comments:

Hazel said...

And what did you see at the movies Colleen? Wow, cloth napkins and witches hats (in Tasmania!)

brandi said...

i luvvvvv the fact that your wait person was wearing a witch hat. during star wars runs in the 70s, the crossroads theater would totally have some dressed up darth vaders and storm troopers walk the aisles during the film.

Colleen said...

Ahhh, see Monte has to guess what I saw that involved the witches hat.
The cloth napkins are good, if I wasn't a grown-up I might have nicked it.

amra said...

i want to go.