Tuesday, December 1, 2009

More about Zok






Could the difference be the far apart school systems we attended?
Could the difference be our family environments?
I don't know what the difference actually is-but I do know that going to the U.S.S. Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor was all Zok.

The wait is so long to go out to the memorial which is about a seventy-five minute commitment, that there is a suggested side trip onto a retired submarine. The holding area for people waiting to go onto the U.S.S. Arizona was very frito and hotdog eating friendly.
However,
Zok loved going on the now retired submarine 'Bowfin'. He was surprised that I knew all about the way an audio tour works. (I have used them at places more suited to my tastes such as an Abbey in Yorkshire).
The submarine was interesting, but all I could think was 'people did not know what they were signing up for' and 'how did they test out whether or not people were afraid of small spaces? or stinky spaces? or spaces with NO natural light?'.
The memorial is well, amazing- that the ship was left to lay were it was sunk, many of the crew trapped in the hull, a huge white, fixed structure over the top, with the names of the people who died in the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

I learned more about the events that occurred in Pearl Harbor during the fifteen minute film that we watched before boarding the boat to travel out to the memorial then I knew before.
The learning part was interesting, the crush of people were scary, the memorial was sobering, yet the shallow part of me felt the trip was partly 'pay-back' for making Zok stay at Disneyland so long.


1 comment:

brandi said...

totally catching up on your blog.this made me laugh so hard at the end, i almost feel off my chair (well, its a ball, so its easier to fall of off.) once again, lovely pics of your adventure. i so want to go there now!