Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"...the darkness declares the glory of light..."






Surely I am repeating myself, but I love the beach. I went swimming yesterday morning and the water was practically warm. I love the beach so much that often I wake up and think, "This is it, I am just staying home, why do I ever go anywhere"?

I feel that I could be happy on my small patch of the world, knowing that I am not missing out, that happiness is happiness and I have mine.
Only there is the small fact that there are so many variations, so many differences, so many experiences to be had.
Here in Tasmania, which if you look on a map seems to be not only situated at the end of the planet, it is only the size of Holland or Washington State, yet the differences in landscape, from the coast to the midland mountains, to the nearby forest (which boast the ancient Huon Pines, which are the second only to the Bristle Cone Pine for the title of longest living tree).
The drive time to most places in Tasmania is long because much of our state is still unpaved, there is no highway comparable to the Interstate 5 through California or the autobahn. This long drive time though is still less than I used to drive (often on a whim) from Seattle to Sacramento to visit family and friends.
Remembering to take the time and leave the beach to explore, is a gift we get from visitors staying with us.

As usual I am equal parts excitement for my trip to New Zealand and sadness that I will miss my beach, my bed, and changes that will happen with or without me in the garden.




1 comment:

Monte Means said...

Can't wait for your photos and dispatches from NZ - enjoy!