Friday, April 2, 2010

..."the thorn, the veil, the face of grace, the brazen image, the thief of sleep..."


As I sit in my neighborhood which is unusually quiet due to the Australian Easter Lock Down, as I fondly call the closures of banks, post, school, libraries (!) and many businesses, not just for Easter Sunday, oh no! from Good Friday until the Wednesday after Easter Sunday. The Australians do not joke around with their vacation time. If for some reason you are unfortunately working on this holiday, believe me, you are getting paid a fat hourly rate for that inconvenience.

Last year I posted about 'The Easter Bilby'-
(Don't know what a bilby is? Just type in bilby to the search field and you will be directed to my informative post.)
I did mock him a bit, this year though I'd invite him in for a place by the fire, because the night is so cold, that I have lit my first fire of the autumn season.
Are you with me? Easter-Autumn-Cold enough for a fire?
These are harsh Australian conditions, that a girl has to deal with while trying to get her Easter spirit going.

I did my best, I brought out my Easter doll, and the last remaining peep.
(Once there were many peeps, you know 'peeps' as in small, fuzzy, pipe cleaner creatures with small button eyes. I used to put them all around, but as the days would go on, I would be unable to control myself from trying to dust them. Usually with the vacuum which isn't as silly as it sounds because I you know, glued their little plastic feet to the surface so they would not fall over all the time. Well, you can guess the fate of the peep brethren. )
Anyway- I also went shopping, not online shopping, actual get dressed, and interact with people shopping.
So, there are fancy (bilby shaped of course) chocolates in the cupboard, and Zok's basket is hidden in his closet (shhhh do not tell him).

I will wish as I have for every year before this one for a warm day so I can picnic. However, as the season is autumn and not spring, I will be content with no rain so I can go bike riding to the reserve, because although this is a bad season for tulips and lilacs, the season is perfect for spotting platypus.

If you have sunshine and no platypus, dye some eggs and hide them in your yard, have a picnic, and eat whatever you fancy.

No comments: