Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Mortimer Revealed"





*images borrowed from the Internet

As I sit to write this, a few thoughts surface. One is that I am a visitor here on the island. Five years is nothing to me. I can not remember which holidays are coming, and I still get lost, which when one is driving roads that are basically all loops, is quite remarkable. But there you have it, I often have to turn around because I have been looped the wrong direction.

Another thought is about puppets. Puppets for some reason do not freak me out like dolls. Perhaps this is because I don't have that horrible sound in my head of small racing feet, chasing, knife in small, inanimate hand when I think of puppets, that I do with dolls.
However I don't favor them especially.
Yet somehow I have gone to my third play comprised of puppets, since moving here.
I went to see the Peking Puppets a few years ago, and then the other year I went to see a puppet show that was ala Pee Wee Herman, because one of the Roller Derby skaters was involved.
This time I went with Riff Raff Saff to see 'The Grimstones'.
The play was beautifully presented, just two people and of course the puppets.
There were lovely, miniature sets, that were encased by suitcases, and opened like a traveling doll house I feel I remember from childhood.
One of the creators is deaf, and she signed the story as her partner spoke for those who can't read sign language. The signing was beautiful, expressive in a way that was interesting and not angry. I realized that when I think of expressive hand use, I think of angry gestures.
The play was filled with quiet, and silence yet even the youngest in the audience were captivated.
One of the creators has a blog, and she is working towards being self-sustainable.
http://fixiefoo.typepad.com/
She writes about The Grimstones but mostly about her efforts towards eating locally, and living consciously.
She seems very interesting, and not at all like she has the puppets to dinner each night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh! That link to Fixie's Shelf was an excellent diversion to what I'm meant to be doing!

Missing you, and coffee with you.
xxbam