Sunday, June 6, 2010

Today is Bouting Day


We are leaving really early by Derby standards, 10 a.m. to lay the track, because the doors are at 2 p.m. and we have to drive to Ballarat.
The Ballarat League is hosting the bout today.
Ballarat is about 1.5 hours from Riff Raff Saff's house, and this is where I have been laying my head at night.

I got these helmet stickers from Harry S'Potter who is a Referree extraordinaire.   They were meant to make me nice and flashy in America, but they will do nicely today.
B.R.D.L and G.R.D.L both scrimmage a couple hours a week, as well as having two other weekly practices.
This add to my concerns about my own skating, because I don't have as much access to practice sessions, especially sessions that are geared towards working as a team.
Tasmania is just really entering the phase of team work.
Four blockers working alone is never a good look.
I can always fall back on 'sacrificing myself' which means, since I am little, and the teams know I am not around a lot, I will get targeted (think weak gazelle) by big hitters-and as long as I am taking that hit at the right time...

But one worry at a time, I need to eat before we leave.
I will just keep repeating in my head the things I forget to do:
Get lower (hope for a high block penalty call), dodge, counter block.

I feel more comfortable at the back of the pack, as I need a run up to be effective while hitting, then when I get passed, I can chase the jammer, this feels good to me, but this isn't really the position for someone who can't hit well- which I am still working on.

Of course I am excited to be included, and I may not be rostered on a lot, and finally everything I learn adds to what I can do to help at home.
Of course if I break a bone, I could have a nice rest...

No comments: