Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Swaying daisies sing a lazy song beneath the sun".









Tyestra: a park of nationally sized dashed hopes.
Animals (djur) and birds (fåglar) NOT spotted, yet displayed brightly, and in large numbers on website, in brochures, and around the ranger station: Beavers, Deer, Moose, many, many Owls INCLUDING a pygmy owl (read: Pigwidgeon), Bats, a LEGLESS lizard (looks like a snake, is not a snake), and of course Hedgehogs!
Apparently hedgehogs are in such abundance that there is a special warning that states in both Swedish and English and I quote, "Do not take hedgehogs or other wild mammals home with you". That really stung me.
Speaking of getting stung, I (naturally) got bit by some sort of insect.

Of course, I was giddy with happiness at the landscape, the village from 'The Iron Age', the fresh air, and the prospect of seeing critters, until of course I realized that I was not going to see animals. But I was still left with the satisfaction of 'getting out' of the city for awhile.
I was especially happy to leave our block as a whole new round of tagging had just been completed the night before. Graffiti in this style is depressing as it is pervasive throughout my travels.

2 comments:

cara mia said...

when i was in Malmo several years ago, i had an encounter w/a hedgehog on the path back from the beach. it was late at night and i'd never seen one. i think i won the staring contest.

Colleen said...

Igelkott! I have only see one here in Sweden once myself, years ago up near Hultsfred...Alas life in the big city!