Sunday, November 25, 2012

"Promise me something, kill me right away if I start to get slow, ...kill me right away its the least you can do..."



Here are the things that I still do not understand about 'Sport'.
(Although I truly believe I know why 'to play sport' and to 'be' sport and to make sport of someone all fits under this one word.)

I don't understand the emotions.
I don't understand letting go all the comments said in the heat of the moment.  Because mean-spirited, mean words, don't dissipate into thin air.  Then work there way into your mind and your dreams.
I don't understand wanting, needing, something (a move?  a dash of glory?) so much.
I don't understand that losing a game can mean so much.

I think a true sports person about now would point out that the writer of these comments is not great at sport.
I suppose they might not even go so far- perhaps not understanding is where the line is drawn.

So within all this understanding or misunderstanding or not being able to understand where am I?
 
I care too much for what others think and feel, and too little for myself.
This is a flaw and I think I am good for acknowledging the flaw.
I also think I am at a point in my life where I would rather withdraw.
Because let me tell you - I am not actually prone to boredom.
Okay- Okay ! I can hear you pointing to certain times- certain wintery, solitary times on the island.  But, I will protest.  The time was extreme and I have learned better.  But I was never actually bored.  My life was just so different with the absence of an over-active social life.
Quitting the field because you are unhappy qualifies as a win in my un-sportslike mind.

Also- the whole sport thing has made me soft.
When people are mean my reaction is shock.
My 30-something self would have reacted defensively and aggressively.  See how I just used those sport words?
I think I was doing better at the sport of life.

From this post you might think my team lost another game- actually the team won one, and barely lost the second.
I was not on the track a lot, but I was unfortunately, on for the last jam that cost us the game.
If I look at the derby year selfishly?  Then hey! Look at me- hanging around mid-forties, possibly more physically fit than I have ever been.  I helped with a lot of fund raising for a league I respect.
I have made a few- good, and actual friends.
There is a lot of winning in there as soon as I shake off this emotional hangover.
 

No comments: