Monday, May 13, 2013

"...a thousand dreams that would awake me..."






I suppose one can give Tasmania the credit of admitting to its loses or shortcomings. The image and sparse left overs (video of the last captive) of the Tasmanian Tiger are everywhere. The tiger is on our license plates, beer labels, used in commercials, the video displays which are now all much larger and projected onto walls in the museum still have the last known, live tiger footage running full time. Just as the sad, worn out, badly stuffed leopards in the museum are to tell you that once leopards came with a circus to town, only to die "mysteriously".  The exhibits to tell you about the convicts, the indigenous people, and the whaling trade- all point out the cruelty from our modern perspectives in bold writing- lest anyone was to try and point it out before they, the experts do themselves.  Just as in town there are pictures and storyboards that tell you what was historic- but now missing on that space.  Or one of my favorites: These Zoo gates are to show you there was once a zoo.

I went with Fran (I suppose she is a bit of a captive audience- as she will be staying with us in Sweden and perhaps feels obliged...) to the re-opened and spruced up town Museum.  It is much nicer- on par with the big cities now in my opinion- well maybe not for content but I for one, like that as Fran pointed out a lot of the art is from Tasmanian residents.

We meant to spend time in the Arboretum but we were really both too hungry to linger there.

I would like to write that my going out- clicked me into high gear- but it did not.
I really just want to hang about and read.  Which is perfectly fine except for my own battle within myself with guilt about everything I should be doing- (learning Swedish!, organizing cupboards!, running five miles!,).

This time next week I'll be at the airport and on my way to Stockholm WITH Zok (gratefully I am getting really spoiled by going on all my long flights with him).

I want Zok to make us some outdoor seating just like the museums!  Surely he can.
 

 


1 comment:

Saff said...

I think that style of outdoor seating would be a good Summertime challenge for Zok.