Friday, March 20, 2015

"...all my life I had been searching for trees such as these..."



On this trip, we were not at the beach, but up into the hills-
I thought that the bark falling from the gum trees looked like an Australian version of Spanish Moss covering trees near swamp lands in North America.
 
I did not get a photo, but I finally saw a pink robin!
Here is it's more common flame cousin - captured by yes, my phone, they are not so shy.
 
 Warning:
Cute animal photos to follow-
 
 I thought I couldn't top my blonde pretty wombat, but I think baby wombat is pretty good.  Right before this a Tasmanian Devil galloped by.  An hour before twilight even!
I seem to see wallabies on their own, while the portoroos seem to go around in mobs, but they are so small (rabbit sized) and quick I never get their photo.
I did have a bandicoot come up really close while I was near the camp fire, which means people had food, in pictures they look like large rats- kind of, but in person that doesn't come across, I think because they move differently.  

We worked most of the day, but without much access to power, evenings are much longer-so I still got to swim, hike, stargaze and spot animals.



Once again I found myself climbing what I would call more a convenient 'rock slide' than a trail.  Although I suppose the arrows did zigzag in a way to be safer than trying to just sprint straight up.  The figure in the distance was the woman whose idea it was to walk...I had a person behind me about the same distance away- she was visiting from France, and she was very quiet until the times we came across other people who spoke french. I really thought a lot about what her actual experience was like...

No comments: