Friday, January 29, 2016

"...she asked for my love and I gave her a dangerous mind..."



-The end of the FOMA 2016 visit-

Along the same theme of my being remiss in noting all of the changes in my local area, we went out to the 'Apple Shed'.
When I first moved to Hobart I was on this 'Bulmers' hard cider kick, but I had trouble finding that cider here.  There were the three various Mercury ciders, but they weren't the 'easy' drinking I was used too.  Pubs didn't always stock them, and I was sorted given 'a look' when I asked for them.

On the road to Huonvilled there is an 'Apple Shed', I went one time to see if there was cider and do a bit of exploring.
It was a funny place, with a bit of history about the apple farming in Tasmania- but it was a bit too quirky for me to add it to my list of sights when visitors are here.

Of course that has all changed.
Tasmania seems to have almost as many ciders as they do micro-brews.
One of the popular cider makers, Willie Smith's has taken over (joined with?) The Apple Shed, and now it part quirk, part really lovely place to have lunch.

It was so crowded we picked a far off spot in the back garden to eat.  
I wish I could explain how strange it is to write 'crowded' and and be talking about anywhere in 'huonville'.  I had a special cider that was only available on tap called 'Stromtrooper' - a bled of rare and almost extinct heritage apples.
I was like 1) Star Wars pun 2) Exotic rare almost 'extinct' apple = How can I say No?
It was really good, my companion (the one who didn't have to worry about going on the limit as she was not driving) did a 'flight' to try four of the ciders but went back for one of mine.  She also bought a 'growler' which is not something I knew about...It's a large old-fashioned (read = trendy, hip) jug for taking away cider.  When we go back she'll get $18 dollars off for bringing the jug back. Although now that I am thinking about it, I suppose it is just a running $18 deposit one time deposit if you always want to re-fill it...





Finally here is some history if you are interested:
http://www.tascidertrail.com/history/ 
 

No comments: