Thursday, October 16, 2008

V-O-T-E


I miss going to a polling place to cast my ballot. When I lived in California I aspired to run a polling place of my own, because usually they were run out of someone's garage. Sometimes there would be a prize for voting, a lively sticker that told everyone you had already gone to your polling station, or better a cookie! These early experiences inspired me, voting day was an event that one dressed up for. I had this 1970s looking plastic belt that had round discs that said 'vote' on them. I loved taking time from work to go vote. My right to vote! (Australians are fined if they don't vote, which creates a whole different feeling although there are cookies, although they are for sale not given treats).
Postal voting is not nearly as exciting. Voting from abroad even less.
I always stress out about getting the bits correct, where to sign, keeping the security envelope clean, and of course getting the ballot in on time.
There is also a feeling of futility about voting from abroad, as if the election is called WAY before the my ballot gets there, even though I know mine will arrive before the official voting day.
Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of interaction. I vote on a day that no one else is voting. I have no one to talk to about the issues on my ballot. I don't queue up and have my name ticked off, I don't get to walk into some enclosed area and have that feeling of being so adult. No, instead I have the equivalent of a correspondence course quiz, that I may somehow flunk because I signed in the incorrect space. The feeling was compounded by my local post office lady. The lady I like least who treats me as if I speak a foreign language because of my accent.
I had my ballot in hand, and I stated (clearly) 'Hello, I need to post this to America.'
She whips the large envelope from my hand shaking her head, sort of weighing it by feel and tutting over the size and shape as SHE STARTS TO FOLD THE ENVELOPE IN HALF!
Folding the ballot in half definitely on the 'no' list. Honestly, inside my head I am shouting 'Excuse me, hellooo! World economy at stake here! Helloo! We are talking Sarah Palin!' as I try to calming retrieve my ballot and not sound like a crazed person as I shout 'Don't fold that!'.
She lowers her arms and says 'Well it'll cost you.' Price of sending in my ballot?
$5.45 Australian.

2 comments:

Monte Means said...

I also love going to my polling place! I'll be voting in a new place (a church instead of a fire station) this year because we moved. I'll scope out the cookie selection and have one in your honor.

amra said...

I get to vote at the West End Youth Center, a relic from Over The Edge Days I'm sure. I can't wait!