Saturday, February 21, 2009

Steps to the Top






I am sitting here trying to sort out how long I have lived in Tasmania. I remember four Christmases. I am probably off by a at least a year-longer.
Many, many times have I taken the Channel Highway, which is a winding, two lane road, which I understand to be once the only way from the city to where we live before the Southern Outlet was built. We consider Channel Highway to be the scenic route. On this road there is a tall, stone tower. The 'Shot Tower'. I always have wanted to climb up to the top but even in my slow paced life I found excuses not to pull over. We made Monte & Roberto our excuse to stop by. I forgot that Roberto is not fond of heights, I forgot Roberto completely when I looked up because the entire tower is filled with the worst spiderwebs I have seen outside of a fake Haunted House at Halloween. We were told there was a 'possible prize' if the steps were counted correctly, Roberto who many times was my ally in many a phobic/tired/hungry moment, stopped counting early due to the height of the tower, I never really started as I could only focus narrowly to avoid spider induced panic.
I felt pretty proud when I got out of there.
Zok (of course) was the one to get the count correct, because my husband, well he is 'that' guy. Monte wrote about what the Tower was for on Flickr, there was a short film, but I ignored that while all the while going on about the webs.
I believe the information was something like 1870, blah blah, 3 guys built the whole place on their own in just a few months, blah, lead (or some metal) drops, drops, drops, while cooling lands and then hurrah creates a shot i.e. early bullet. Hmmm. Anyway the view was nice.

No comments: