Monday, October 19, 2009

Hush your purdy mouth.





Home again-a bit bruised and battered, as expected.
Training for a roller derby bout is a serious business. Although I got to Geelong in time for Tuesday's practice (excellent blocking practice, with cones set up to make skaters work on their timing) and followed Tuesday practice by going to the next night of 'Freshie' skating practice, this was simply not enough to prepare me for the bout. While I was in Tasmania where skating practice was often canceled or cut short for one reason or another, the Geelong skaters were skating (hard and fast) two-three nights per week, scrimmaging, and being assessed by coaches and refereed by the same.
My skating out on the concrete streets, blocking air was just not enough to bring me up to scratch. Therefore I had both my (awfully) bad and good moments during our second bout.
The next day however, was a co-ed scrimmage, mostly for the male skaters who are working towards bouting status, where I got a bit of ref training, or as I like to say 'got to be a foal on my way to Zebra-hood'.

Some highlights of my trip, (beyond my still every present, ever obvious, love for the Geelong league), was getting to promote and put up posters for our game, and other small assisting jobs such as laying track, and helping with set up and clean up of the bout, which gave me a warm feeling of being part of a team.
I also, went to a dental prosthetist, in Geelong, at Smile Care where I got a custom made mouth guard. Not only was I able to have 'I heart Zok' put into the layers, but due to its custom fit I am able to both breath and speak!
I am not a sporty person, and I have never been part of a sport before, so let me tell you that for the most part, mouth guards are awful. Many people seem to be able to cope with them but I had a hard time, and I am so, so happy to have this new one.

No comments: