Sunday, October 4, 2009

"Used to be one of the rotten ones and I liked you for that."






I have been living in Australia long enough that I am starting to forget the American equivalent for certain aspects of living.
Here, in Tasmania green waste is taken to the 'tip' which is a word, basically meaning dump, as in "No tipping allowed here".
Our tip is privately owned, normally the cost for our Jeep load is about $5 AU, this is reduced to $3, if we remember to bring recycling such as cardboard.
We live within a township so actually our recycling is picked up by the city.

The tip also takes salvage and random items. Each tip has a 'tip shop', which to my eyes is a free-for-all junk yard.
I don't have a lot of luck finding items in places such as these, I like my thrifting to be a bit more upscale, honestly I find the tip to be a bit like dumpster diving in a bad neighborhood, plus if you find an item there is a price for it.

However, Zok found what he wanted here, a couple of frames and some glass.
I, too found items, and I am not sure why, but both of my items were free.
The table cloth which isn't showing well via photo was thrown in by the tip shop with Zok's other purchases, and the cigar box was from a store I quite like, hidden amongst a strange array of magic items. I only wanted the box, so the lovely man separated the box out for me and gave it to me-
Gratis.


2 comments:

Elissa said...

It takes dedication, but there are always gems to be found.

Monte Means said...

Nice! Nothing like a lazy day with black face minstrels on the hi-fi.