Tuesday, February 2, 2010

An Ode to Willemina the Wombat





Wow.
I have had many days of adventure, and little to no internet access.
Townsville was amazing, I had only seen the parts of Australia that are subject to Monsoon weather via documentaries, or extras on DVD about movies such as the making of 'Australia'. The experience was of course more intense, to feel the heat, (heat that was very much minimized by the rains) to be in perpetual dampness, and the heavy air.
I write 'rains' because I felt as if we were pummeled by many types of rain, as if storms were converging all the time making such standard practices such as umbrellas completely useless.
Ladies who partake in Roller Derby are not easily put down though, and we went out each day, and the only obstacle that stopped skaters from making it to practice was the actual cancellation of flights, and road closures.
Betty and I stayed with Lex Fight (another original member of the Victoria League) on her army base. I put the words army base in bold for anyone who knows me well, the fact that I ever hung around an army base is pretty astounding.
On our second day, the three of us went to the Billabong Sanctuary: http://www.billabongsanctuary.com.au/

Queensland is the only place where people get to actually hold any of the native animals. As you can see they get different reactions, we, of course were delighted. I learned a lot. Koalas do not have a sternum so a person can actually hug them to death-! This is why the photos always have people cradling them from underneath. A koala can only be handled for twenty minutes at a time before they get freaked out. Wombats are more easy going as you may be able to tell from the photos. I learned that of the three species of wombats, one category is highly endangered, the Northern Hairy Nosed Wombats have a population of only 138.
We were drenched and I mean drenched, the water was rising all around us, and we were really happy that the animal handling actually happened, and lucky because the group was quite small. I had an amazing time, and thought I did quite well under threat of heat stroke, huge insects, flash floods, monsoon weather, and thirteen hours of skating!

4 comments:

cookie said...

I am soooooooooooo jealous! How wonderful for you though! You look like the cat that swallowed the canary...
xox

Monte Means said...

The wombat pictures leave me speechless. How did we ever beat the pinata with such glee?

Colleen said...

I did, of course, show the pinata picture around to the group, and employees, it is still unclear if they knew what a pinata was exactly.

amra said...

OH MY GOD.