Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Get out of my way or I'm gonna shove"


So here it is early, May, autumn for me, and spring for my friends in the Northern Hemisphere.  When I came back from Queensland, where I watched (and got to help) Betty Bamalam conduct a three day coaching sort of boot camp-I can home with new drills and the desire to try and coach.  My 'go-go' style doesn't mesh well with the Tasmanian way.
Long story short, last Sunday's session is what I thought I'd be running by early February, only now we are here, in May.
This is sort of compounded by the fact that I leave for America next week.  I thought by mid-March the league would have been running pre-scrimmage drills and short scrimmages, focused on the fourteen plus skaters who signed up for the big Southern Slam event in Adelaide.
I pictured enough spread of knowledge-where a couple of skaters who were either other coaches, or who got focused on strategy would be able to just take over, and work on just team strategy for the Southern Slam.
I suppose I have learned (at least am trying to learn) that I can't put my expectations on other people.
A couple of skaters are going to go over to Geelong as I have done, to skate in their practices, so perhaps this will have the same impact on them that it had on me.
Also I believe that after Adelaide, the league will have a more homogeneous view of where we are all going.

 I am going to go on my trip feeling hopeful, and indeed proud, the league now has a permanent slot in a space that is big enough to skate aggressively (if we can get it together on the slippery surface) and to scrimmage.  The league bought a no trip track that I've had my eye on since 2009.  These are ingredients that I believed we had to have to move forward and I had a part in making them come together.
I find it hard to give up my own skating time to coach, but for now I think this is my only option to try and build something or remain alone on the black top (schoolyard skating).  With some luck and good will on the part of others, I will get to do some skating with 'freshie' classes in America.  I only skate well enough to sign a waiver and be in a beginner class as the standard in America is much, much, higher than here.  Leagues in America skate 3 times a week, and compete most of the year.  They pay in the area of $100 a month and have access to enough derby to just live roller derby.  Skaters are on a training schedule like any other sport, so skating is full time.
I fear this will inspire me to come back, in the dead of winter, with the same 'go-go!' that will once again be my undoing...




No comments: