Friday, July 23, 2010

"...open sea and city lights...busy streets and dizzy heights..."




Geelong is filled with winter weather, morning fog, rain that drizzles, then clears, then comes again in the form of a more committed rain. There are bright afternoon moments where the sky and horizon become clear and the low moon appears bright on the background of daytime blue.
I have spent many hours in the University library, where suddenly any book not pertaining to my planned study becomes irresistible to me.
I have somehow lost both my favorite hat and a really great book that was not a book I own. '1 dead in attic' by Chris Rose, Saff loaned the book to me because we both are still talking about how much we liked the HBO series 'Treme'. Poor Saff was apparently mistaking me for a grown up who doesn't somehow randomly lose a book.
A bit late in my week I realized I should have been postering for our bout this Sunday because I have been wandering all over the central area of Geelong. I tried to make up for this on both Wednesday and Thursday, although I can only take credit for about fifteen flyers in about ten locations.
I feel positive about Roller Derby while being here, and I'll try to use of the positivity back in Tasmania to see if I can make any sort of impact.
I also feel sort of 'grown up' about Roller Derby. I feel by analogy the sort of benchmark of change one feels between being a Freshman and a Junior in High School. Last August was my first competitive bout, so I am coming up on my year mark, and if I had to remark on the biggest difference, that difference would be my passivity.
Where for months I was willing to listen to all opinions about Roller Derby, I know have opinions of my own and although I believe my opinions can be changed, but I feel tenacious about quite a few of them. I know many, many people know more about Roller Derby than I do, but I am also confident that I know quite a bit.
Tomorrow is a day off, a day in the city with Saff with plans to see the Tim Burton exhibit, and going to see a showing of the original 'Psycho' in an old theater with a fifty piece orchestra providing the score.


No comments: