Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Merry Christmas Santa-san




Sushi, sake, fresh wasabi, none of these items should evoke an image of Christmas-time. My husband however is not really into Christmas being both Macedonian and raised here in the land of domestic beer drinking, santa hat wearing, BBQ-ing, summer time Christmas.
He is however, interested in cooking.

On my pro-list of reasons why I try and live here on the island is the fact that people have small farms. There are interesting items grown here, like saffron, and fresh wasabi.
I've only had fresh wasabi in Japan and Hawaii.
But as a christmas season treat, I ordered Zok a 'home indulgence' package of fresh wasabi from the local farm here on the island.

http://www.shimawasabi.com.au/

We also dug into the stores of our secret stash for a nice bottle of sake, from here-
http://www.ofuku-shuzo.jp/item.php
The label has the same photo of their property on it.

The wasabi plant is indigenous to Japan. The entire plant can be eaten.
In nature the plant grows in elevated streams. Here the plants are grown hydroponically. We have an aspiration to try and grow some by putting in a sort of rock fountain in a shady corner of the yard.
We also have 'sashimi' grade fish, that can be purchased fresh from the fish punts in town.

I really, really appreciate being able to eat fresh food, from a place I could drive up to and view if I had the mind to do so.




1 comment:

Saff said...

That looks amazing!! I bet Zok loved the gift as well. I hope it tasted as good as it looks