Friday, November 22, 2013

"...And as soon as that packet was out on the sea, `Twas devilish hard treatment of every degree..."







Sadly, Hobart is not big on public transportation. So, although
I like to think of myself as a person who is always a tourist in her hometown, I miss a lot of the quieter aspects of Hobart's charms.

  Hobart was settled before much of the mainland.  Therefore "First" is often attached to a place.
Walking from my mechanics shop to my yoga class (about a twenty minute walk). I realized how much of interesting architecture I usually just breeze by.
There was the "first" Jewish Synagogue consecrated in 1845. (How I love proper words).
A 'historic engineering marker' the world's oldest McNaught Beam Engine.
The fire brigade (which I do always admire).
The Mission to Seamen Hobart Station (1915-1956)
and of course The Drunken Admiral which is next door to the Yoga Studio I go too.  There is a plaque talking about the buildings 'colourful history' my favorite involves the time period Hobart was doing its best to lure 'widows and other females of good character' with high wages and prospects of marriage.
This was during the time the island was prospering, convicts finished with their time were transitioning into the citizens that built a society that would stay on the island.
Really, every few buildings there was a really interesting one.  
 When I stepped back and looked at the whole area, yes I could just focus on the ugly, smelly fast food chips place, or the car lot.
But would I? If I was a tourist, looking to be pleased?  
Perhaps, I can credit Yoga but I was definitely feeling that one's mood can be directed in a positive way.

No comments: