Wednesday, November 6, 2013

'Thursday's Child'






I think of myself as adaptable or at least flexible.
I like to find things interesting, more than I like to complain.
People often ask me about how I deal with living in different places, not just geographically different but different-different, as in not the same.
But I seem to be as happy in either place because really one's perspective brings happiness more than a place itself.

Currently I am really excited about volunteering (which means weeding actually) at the reserve near my house.  I have been working hard to actually fix this place in my mind.  For years I have just wandered aimlessly, sometimes getting lost-Zok doesn't understand this but when I can't see the mountains then I don't know which way is the ocean and that is the direction of home.  I have no sense of direction, but between the camera phone documenting my progress, the maps on the internet to refer too and my app that works as a compass and a gps walking map I am doing really well!

Now, I am also using the timer on my phone, I have always used the reserve to waste time but I want to start using the space for actual exercise-so I have been routing trails for running and bike riding.

I am hoping to learn more of the reserves secrets (where are the tawny frogmouths currently nesting?  has anyone seen the striped bandicoots lately??)
from my volunteer work. The park has something like 277 hectare and perhaps you remember my wandering into the horse zone??  Updates soon!

Meanwhile, my birthday was surprisingly friendly and full of presents!
I got a beautiful hand made bag from my friend Theodore, my neighbors gave me a (heartbreakingly) interesting book on movies that never got made.  My favorite so far is a treatment Nick Cave wrote for 'Gladiator Two' at the request of Russel Crowe, that was turned down because it was so anti-war.
I got a lovely bit of pottery, fresh flowers (!!), candles, cards-I feel really thankful (and a bit awkward I am not actually used to getting gifts anymore).
 The best gift of all is I got phone calls (Skype of course) from two friends that I haven't heard from in years.  That was so delightful, and timely.

Today is warm! I am making a new batch of rhubarb syrup as all mine got used up during Cup Day at the Croquet Club where I bartended while Zok played some tournament games.
It was pretty sweet, pink colored cocktails on the Croquet lawn while wearing a large sun hat fits into my ideal of croquet playing.


Here is a link to the reserve map if you are interested.

 

No comments: