Monday, March 31, 2014

"...when you get to Asheville...send me an email...tell me how you doin' how it's treatin' you...did you find a new job? Did you find a new love?"






The draw of nature and a small town.  We have had a great beginning to our trip, with a random dinner date.  I have to thank “social media” because I wouldn’t have found my ex-work colleague without the aid of that technological advance.  Also because we were in the same business, and my husband is still in that business, there was even an additional person that he knew through work so we had a good ol’time in Raleigh.
The drive from Raleigh to Rutherfordton was surprisingly long, but this is because reality is always different to even the best plans made while some 14,000 km away…while lying on the office floor with a road map.
Still, the mountains are pretty, the air is fresh, the traffic much, much less.  We, also from our time living on our sparsely populated island, have no qualms about the lack of sidewalks air lights and we feel quite comfortable.  Everything is different enough that we feel entertained.
Asheville and Black Mountain were both sweet towns, with good coffee and better local beers.
Mostly, we just want to visit with friends and be able to picture their day-to-day life which makes long distance communication a lot easier.  Actually, this doesn’t work all the time, but it works enough that I do try and visit people as I feel I was the one who moved away.

Tomorrow we start to make our way West on the 10.  Our next stop is Savannah, which I only know from books.

No comments: