Saturday, September 27, 2008

"You're turning Violet, Violet"



I adore flower flavored food, violet being tops. I used to drink soda water flavored with rose syrup at a Cafe on Vermont St. when I lived in my apartment with the Murphy Bed on N. Normandie.
The apartment had some sweet elements, as old Hollywood never fully gives up all its charm even when that charm is immersed in the mire. Mostly though that was a dark time, working late, fretting about making the rent, strange men making advances, you know the normal life of a teenager.

My memories of drinking the rose soda though are all bathed in the full sunlight of an after noon off, before or after a trip to Griffith Park or Descanso Gardens. Drinking them made me feel worldly.

Sweden has not only Violet flavored licorice but also Violet Ice-Cream!
The effect is not unlike Green Tea Ice-Cream (which by the bye 31 flavors features as a normal flavor in both Japan and Australia).
The flavor is subtle, and amazing. Mostly I like my ice-cream to be ice-cream not an excuse to eat a candy bar or cookies i.e. 'cookie-dough or snicker flavored'.

I have a plan to convince my husband that living without an ice-cream maker is akin to living without a cheese slicer or decent knives.
Then I will perfect my own version of violet flavored ice-cream.
Because that is what we do in Tasmania. D.I.Y all the way.

No comments: