Sunday, November 30, 2008

Brave, but not that Brave






I am not a strong swimmer. I took lessons in dowtown Seattle, at the Y. I remember making comments, trying to bond with my instructor, after many a blank look I finally asked him how old he was. He was in the neighborhood of ten years younger than I was. I had that first shock of really knowing I was in my late twenties which perhaps I had been thinking was just like being a teenager twice. I also had a lesser shock when he stated 'Not everyone needs to be able to do a flip-kick'. He made the comment after I cracked my head on the side of the pool and got a nasty lump on my forehead. As the weekly lessons went on I felt less and less ready to brave open water, there was the experience of losing the bottom half of my bathing suit while diving (seriously, but seriously NO ONE every mentioned that to me). People I knew were not exactly un-supportive, but I think most were flabbergasted that I did not learn as a child. There was the comment made by my employer's daughter, she said in a bit of a stage whisper 'I hope Colleen doesn't come to my school for lessons.' Oh great I thought I don't even have my own kids and I am still an embarrassing adult. I did forge on well enough that I would swim in hotel pools whenever I got the chance.
I haven't really gotten much better at swimming, nor can I dive (although I can duck a wave)-but I have learned how to cheat. It is called; owning a wetsuit. So much easier to stay afloat!, and I think using one has strengthened me a bit to where I am more confident to swim without one for the two odd months where it is warm enough. Even this time a year, when the water might be in the 40s, I don't care as long as the sun is out to warm me on the walk to the beach.
The beach by the way which looks entirely different to me after being away for the Winter. I almost feel betrayed. There is some sort of 'sea lettuce' on the rocks (which I swear have multiplied and rearranged themselves) and the sea lettuce seems to have enticed a lot of sea snails to feast. There was a lot of seaweed around and few jelly fish, but that just gives me incentive to swim faster to the deeper, clearer water. The weather has been unseasonable cool and rainy. I am itching each day for beach time. Heidi (who makes the delicious cakes) lives 'off town water', but she has told me that all her rain tanks are full, so I am going to start wishing for the real Summer weather to start.

3 comments:

amra said...

ok so it's beautiful and you are rad in your wetsuit and i thought the picture of the sea lettuce was some kind of fois gras with garnish.

Monte Means said...

i think you are entirely brave for swimming on your own. And the photo of you gearing up could have been believably accompanied by an entirely different sort of text: something about what a strong and accomplished swimmer you are, because you look like a total pro...someone who should be giving, not taking lessons.

my countdown widget tells me that in 63 days, 4 hours, 50 minutes and 22 seconds, i'll be able to enter that water with you!

Unknown said...

I fear the ocean. I like to go up to it, but not in it.