Tuesday, September 21, 2010

For Monte






The garden centers have sales going on.
Buying plants in Tasmania is a bit tricky. There is no pattern that I can find as to when and why certain plants are available and I am often told that 'we haven't had that plant in years you should ask for a clipping if you see that plant in a garden'.
I have yet to knock on a strangers door to beg for plant clippings...
I do however keep an eye out for honor boxes which often have plants for sale. Prolific gardeners divide up their plants in spring and autumn and sell them in pots, I feel these have the advantage of being 'tried and true' for my immediate climate. As opposed to some plant coming from the North (read Tropic) area of Australia sitting in the local nursery.

I cut back a vine to put in a 'joey' paw, this is of course a dwarf kangaroo paw plant. So I hope that the plant will grow up to but not exceed the space under the vine. I swore off buying any new paws because of my ill fated three from last year that the council so rudely pulled out and crushed while doing some sort of 'more important then your garden' work near the place I badly choose to place my new plants.
But this one had such a nice color and the plant was on sale.

Zok and I are braving areas of the garden that refuse to yield healthy plants, but we have the hope that each time we will do better.
We do dig up the area and mix in nutrients and new soil.
Now that Zok has his two new and one improved vegetable bed, we are going to try and grow Bosenberries and Currants, in the spot where we had Peppers and Tomatoes last year. The Olive Tree is there and is growing steadily if slowly.

So far in the ground Zok has planted: Garlic, Spring Onion, Red Onion, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Corn, Rhubarb, Oregano, Rosemary, Mint, Mixed Basil, and Parsley.
Next will be Tomatoes and Chillies.

The other berries that were planted in autumn-Blueberry, Blackberry, and Gooseberry are all budding and getting taller.

1 comment:

Monte Means said...

Now that's a title I can really get behind! Thanks for the garden update. Miss you guys so much!