Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"What's this then some new fashion? Sopping wet trousers?" "Nah-there Levis, ya gotta shrink'em on ya"



I can get a little obsessive, fixed with an idea of a time and place, stuck to a single melody that brings me momentary bliss.
This winter has been dominated by 'The Who', especially both discs of Quadrophenia. All songs with bits of 'I am the Sea' and 'Reign on me'-as with most movie soundtracks, there are character refrains that are weaved throughout other songs, to bring the viewer or in my case listener back to a central theme or character. I find Jimmy from Quadrophenia a poignant character, and the opening and closing shots of the movie the perfect set up for a story arc. One movie, and one band might seem pretty thin material to fuel months of obsession, but my thoughts are twisty and intersect in a pattern recognizable maybe only to a few.
Quadrophenia has Sting playing a character, which leads to listening to his band 'The Police'. The closing shot of Quadrophenia obviously leads one to watching 'Harold & Maude' which parallels on another level, that movie also has a soundtrack by one band or artist, Cat Stevens.
I've also embraced a theme of open water, shores, oceans which has dominated my reading for my travel writing class.
There is a restlessness to the idea of open water, the ideal of just leaving, to settle alone with one thoughts and true solitude provided by miles and miles of ocean, a last vestige that is free from fast food chains, and concrete.
I think of this type of restlessness rooted in becoming aware of ones individuality, of becoming a teenager, of realizing that leaving is an option.
In homage to my teen years and to Jimmy, I am going through the proper rituals with my 501 Levis. I haven't had a new pair in eleven (!) years.
My last pair of real, proper, shrink to fit Levis (not an item easily found outside of the U.S., and not as easily found in the U.S. as they were in 1983)-well the last pair, I can get them on...but I have to be at my lowest weight to actually wear them.
Zok as a non-Levi wearing Australian-wog, did not comment, preferring to shake his head in silence at my sitting in hot water in our tub for over twenty minutes, before the first washing of my jeans.

2 comments:

riffraffsaff said...

I can totally see Zok shaking his head, in fact, I'm shaking my head and giggling a bit. Glad it didn't have to be a cold bath!

Monte Means said...

I love the picture of you in the tub. Zok's just shaking his head at your awesome-ness. Really, there are no words.