Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Spring, Sprang, Sprung" For Bam.








Tasmania, as a location, as an environment, is temperamental.
I believe one should not be a misery about this fact, because the weather each day here, is just something one needs to work around.
So instead of finishing my final project for my now hated Public Relations class, I went walking. Well walking was a means to the goal of looking at visiting spring birds, and also trying to identify the many birds of prey that are around.
Alas, I always conclude that the birds of prey I see are 'Swamp Harriers' except for that one time I saw a Peregrine Falcon dive, which is hard to mistake and only a trademark of the Peregrine.
Perhaps it was the 'fine' weather, or perhaps it was a touch of spring fever, but two hours into following a bird of prey through the bush land (see photo 3) I had to admit I was 'in the middle'. In the middle means if I turned the correct way, I might get home in two more hours, if I turned the wrong way I might end up two hours farther away from my home.
In the end I did end up at the wrong end, but (YEAH!) I have a friend with a car. So Zok came and picked me up from the far end of the bushland from where I started.
I saw a new bird! A honey throated whistler. This bird was unmarked in my book where I keep track of my sightings.
As I kept trying to find my bearings, I noticed how many plants were in bloom.
Autralian natives are mostly delicate, their flowers intricate and small.
As I have noted before, almost every plant blooms.
I didn't see all the birds I heard, but I still feel happy that they are there.
I saw Kookaburra, Cockatoo, the forty-spotted pardalote, ravens, possibly a Swamp Harrier and of course my new bird the honey throated whistler.
All in all a good effort, of course that was a good three hours given over to doing little and then needing a rest!
However, the equinox is coming, and the days are getting longer, the light is getting stronger and one shouldn't rush too quickly into a new season.
Better to savor and reflect.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You saw a Kooka! Fantastic. xxbam