Sunday, June 2, 2013

"...the day breaks...your mind aches...she wakes up...she makes up...and doesn't feel she has to hurry..."

I filled out an online survey about Tasmania the other day, and there was a question about population- "Is 500,000 too much?  A good number? Would 750,000 be better?".
On the same day I read an article about how Stockholm is increasing by 30,000 each year, putting the city in line to be Europe's fastest growing city.  I am not good at large numbers.  So when I think of population increase, my first reaction is thoughts of what people leave behind.   Sometimes, I think more people in Hobart would be good, if you know I could hand pick them.  I mean its all a bit of a risk- people.  But, on a practical level, surely Australia having the space and infrastructure will have to let in more people?  How many people can Hobart accommodate without the ill effects I have seen in other cities?
Was it these facts that sharpened my notice of the increased amount of people who beg for money here around each train station and every crowded corner or shopping area.
The litter, the graffiti or more accurately the tagging that is more and more prevalent.  Each time I am in Stockholm, my mind thinks gratefully about what Tasmania does not have, not what Tasmania is missing. This was all on my mind while taking a long walk through my area today.

The Bad:
This yellow sitting on the lake edge, is pollen- the exact same thing is happening in our apartment.
Each day I think "This is a losing battle". But then I still get out the vacuum and a damp rag to try and clear all surfaces.
 
The Ugly:

I would like to only post the pretty pictures from my walk, and if I hadn't been so wrapped up in my reflection about world population, I might have done just that.
I am sad? irritated? exasperated?  that even the few summer houses in our area have been tagged.  I also picked up eight pieces of litter before just giving that up as a bad job.

The good:


I went a bit further that I had before along the trails, because the rain is starting to turn the lilacs which means I feel no guilt pruning a few vases full for myself.  There was another summer house community along a more 'off road' trail that were untouched.  I also found a community garden which I of course felt torn about as it was along the large freeway. My brain thought "Yeah, food growing!" and then "Ewwww, car exhaust."   The allotment houses I have blogged about before are rumored to have at least a twenty year waiting list.
  I suppose this causes some feelings of exclusion.  Yet I just like to walk among them.  There is a rise in the normal style of community garden which centers a bit more on food growing whereas a lot of plots do run towards just growing flowers.  There were parts, along the tracks with so many birch trees that smelled beautiful.  The lilacs are of course- glorious.  One item our places have in common is a tin roof, so in both homes the sound of rain, pouring down as it is now, is a lovely loud clatter.


No comments: