Friday, June 19, 2009

...bleaching your teeth, smiling flash, talking trash under your breath...

The week has been whirlwind. So whirlwind I don't even have photos to post. I have never had such a week during winter, normally this time of year I am piling on coats to sit on my porch and watch the milky way come up in front of the house. Star gazing is definitely on my list of things to do but it hasn't happened yet. After I watched Zok get onto the plane I came home and started cleaning. Then a few set backs happened like water coming through the ceiling in the office, which involved calling a plumber (I know, I know, but this is Australia) to patch a bit of the metal roof.
I did get the house in order in time for Betty Bamalam and Ref Fink, our guest coach and referree who came from Victoria to train us up a bit for three days.
I had a great time, Betty and Ref were great house guests, amazing considering I had never met them. Roller Derby's reputation for comradely behavior between all derby peeps has not been over exaggerated. Betty (who I like to think of as "Betty Knows Best") has literally gone all over Australia and beyond to help train girls and help leagues grow into competing teams. This time is given freely, and she is one of many in the world of Derby that do the same thing. I found this extraordinary. Having company was nice, and even if they were only being polite they both laughed at my sideways humor, as well as ate my cooking (Roberto Breakfast Burritos!).
Beyond all that, I have a new focus on which skills I need improvement on.
I think our fledgling team has been given a nice shot of motivation.
We skated so hard that only this morning (Day four, morning after I saw Betty and Ref to the airport) did I notice a bruise SO LARGE on my (fairly large) backside that I started to laugh out loud. I mean sure I noticed it hurt to sit down but I thought that was you know muscle fatigue from all my hard work, not a bruise from my 'whoops-a-daisy' skating style!
I hope to see both Betty and Ref skating with their current league 'The Geelong Roller Girls' in the double header coming up in Victoria.
Now, I am woefully behind on my Croquet Club duties...

No comments: