Sunday, June 28, 2009

Christmas Carols in June? Must be "Aumas"





Anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge fan of Christmas. Now, that I live in Australia I have to be a bit more flexible. I used to have very set traditions, and rules that went with said traditions. I always bought and decorated my tree (live of course) the day after Thanksgiving, and I made hot toddies or egg nog (vegan, extra rum), I held Christmas Eve. in a hotel bar, with a fire and piano if possible, and with a nice bar menu that featured cocktails with a Christmas theme such as; Rudoph the red-nosed martini.
Christmas in summer, is an adjustment. Now, I make pina-coladas with fresh fruit, and I have a vintage aluminum Christmas tree because it sparkles in the sun and the sun doesn't set on Christmas until about 9:30 p.m.
I am straying from the topic at hand though, which is Aumas. A Christmas celebration held in the winter time in the Southern hemisphere. We had one today at our Croquet Club, a bit of fun and a bit of a fund raiser.
I made the mulled wine. I was unhappy with the mulled wine until I remembered a Zok adage "Rakia will fix anything",and after I added an entire bottle of Malceski Plum Rakia, the mulled wine was much, much, better.
I ate 'nut loaf' an English sort of traditional vegetarian dish, which was surprisingly tasty. Also of note were the mince pies (fruit mince) smothered in brandy cream sauce (!).
I have learned to love a few English Christmas tunes such as Wizzards 'I wish it could be Christmas every day' and a ditty called 'Lily the Pink'.
But today I learned some Australian carols such as 'Aussie Jingle Bells' (sung to the usual tune) but with the following modified lyrics;

'Engines' getting hot, dodge the kangaroos
Swaggy climbs aboard he is welcome too
Christmas in Australia
on a scorching summer's day
Jingle bells, Jingle bells
Christmas time is beut
oh what fun it is to ride
in a rusty holden ute'
or Deck the Shed with bits of Wattle
'Deck the sheds with boughs of wattle
Rippa bloody beauty bonza mate
slice the cake and tip the bottle
rippa bloody beauty bonza mate
don we now our swimmin' cossies
rippa bloody beauty bonza mate
sunburn cream and stuff for mozzies
rippa bloody beauty bonza mate'
Well you get the idea, actually all quite funny when one has dipped into the mulled wine.


No comments: