Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Then the party started and it was all a blur..."





Last night the Convict City Roller Girls, had a open night, part demonstration, part recruitment of new girls, and (please oh please) hopefully some referrees. I felt a bit like a cheater, knowing such few people (Thanks for coming; Andy, Karlo, and Heidi!) my embarrassment level is very low. Hobart is a small place and I am sure the other girls had more on their minds, I certainly didn't have to worry about anyone from my school days coming by to have a laugh. Plus my part in the planning was small. I think some of the girls are frustrated by not being able to really compete yet, and so this event perhaps was a bit much being as we are close but not that close to competing.
I am just having a really good time, and of course, I really want the team to get to the level of competing, and yes I spend time and expend energy helping out and trying to become a better skater but as far as I am concerned my relationship with Roller Derby is pretty good, and I don't need it to change-well at least not today, I mean winter is here and we spend more time indoors. I am happy to watch skating movies while sitting on the couch next to a warm fire. But I am not selfish, I don't need to keep Derby to myself, alone, and I was happy at the prospect of new girls, with all their individual skills and potential showing up.
I was pleased as punch when suddenly there seemed to be more people than we could handle. The perfect 'party moment', in that one breath, as the party hosts are saying 'Oh well if no one comes will just do this or that', then in the very, next breathe they are saying 'Hi, welcome, are you here to skate?'.

I was working the room like a frenzied sorority girl, bent on getting the most girls she could into her Derby house. We had a good turn out of our own though so there were plenty of Derby girls that the new people could choose from to ask their questions or take their spin around the rink. At one point I found myself chatting up a girl who turned out to be a visiting team member of the Victorian league, one of the girls I saw bouting when Zok and I went. But even that did not really cause me embarrassment because I was too rushed trying to ask her about her experiences, what wheels did she favor? What advice did she have about avoiding serious injury?
Suddenly Ruby or Latrina were blowing a whistle and then, it was as if no one was at the rink watching. This was great because my fear was immediately dispelled that I would be unable to ever compete in front of people. All I could see was the blocker next to me and the jammer skating to get through the pack. Too soon, the night was over-and I could feel the sensation of a first date-will any of the new girls call or show up on fresh meat night?

After the skating ended, many of us went to a pub called 'The Brisbane Hotel' which of course the locals call 'The Brizzy'. There seemed to be a sentiment that people probably just wanted to see a bout (an actual Roller Derby game), but this is early days, Sarah aka Ruby Ricochet and the girls on committee have been working really hard, and the year mark is still months, and months away. All I see is determination, excitement, and people having a good time. As usual, I have woken up without a voice, I seem to lose it on the rare occassions I go out, luckily I can use it up all at once, because as far as I know I will not be required to have any long conversations until my next Derby event, which is training by one of the Victorian League women-Betty Bamalam on Tuesday. When I think training I think 'Yes! Less bruises! Yes, to be able to GIVE bruises!' and sometimes I think 'Jump over things!!!'. These are my simple goals. Also looking over photos taken by Andy-my skating stance in reality is far from the stance I think that I have, and this of course, just makes me want to skate more and work harder.

2 comments:

Monte Means said...

Dear Kitty Engine -

I am your number one fan!

- M.

brandi said...

me too. love the red fish nets with the hankie! LOVE it!