Thursday, June 4, 2009

"M is for Maud who was swept out to sea"



I love the rain, I have always loved weather, living in Southern California where there are more sunny days than any other days, made me depressed. I felt a pressure, an actually physical pressure to constantly be doing something because 'it was such a nice day!'. The only time I really felt right was when the Santa Ana winds kicked up. If you are unfamiliar with these hot, dry winds that come from El Salvador, I won't try to describe them here when so many gifted writers have already done so. Seattle weather suited me perfectly. As I watched other Californian transplants hide away for most of each Seattle winter, I would go racing about in my rain gear. Okay, there was always a point, say at the end of maybe an entire month of rain, when I started to think that my old car had mold growing somewhere, mold which might never dry out, but that didn't squash my enthusiasm for the season.
Besides I appreciate, and even need, a few bad weather days to excuse myself from society, to be able to just loll about reading and watching movies, eating popcorn for dinner and nipping into the good whisky (yes whisky with just a y, I am talking Scottish here).
So, here the rain is coming down steadily (with the added bonus of coming down onto a tin roof that amplifies the sound) and has been for the last fifteen hours. Rain in Tasmania is regarded a bit differently than I am used too, because this is a place where many people have only rain tanks to supply their houses. We are on town water, just on the edge of the houses that are not. I like to take a hot bath after a hard skating practice, but when I said that out loud after practice one night, (forgetting as I do), the response was a conversation about the level of each girls water tank. Ahhh, yes, even a hot (and apparently indulgent) bath, shows my American side.
As I have written about ad nauseam, Tasmania does not have a lot of heating. So I was stoked that Zok's friend Nadia sent me a package from Eastpak, I got a bag that holds all my skating gear, a really warm hoodie, shorts, and a cute skirt both in a thick, durable material. This is great because we are basically skating inside of a concrete shed with a tin roof, no heating. Which is fine as long as you are in motion.
Zok is less than a week from leaving, so the house is in an upheaval.
Poor thing, he will be going into summer while I get enjoy winter.

2 comments:

Monte Means said...

About a month after I moved back to LA from Seattle, the mold on my car windows died and flaked off. Kind of symbolic, I think.

Anonymous said...

You are more than adorable in your skates!