Thursday, March 19, 2009

acka dacka rulz or the kids are alright





Although I took Zok to the airport at 9 a.m. yesterday and it is now 5 p.m. the next day, he has only just landed in London on his way to Stockholm. That routing is hateful, 3 stops and 3 long lay overs. My day, by comparison, was more pleasant, I drove about five miles or so to the town of Snug so that I could hike down to the falls. I don't walk as much when Zok is home, and I wanted to start out with a walk I haven't done in awhile. Also there are a few second hand stores on the way to Snug that I like to check out for new items. I am always looking for craft books, and of course we need books on home preserving which is our new obsession. There was a couple just leaving when I got to the walk, and one woman and her dog just arriving. I saw two snakes straight away, and when I saw the other walker I wanted to yell 'Beware! Snakes!' but I decided to be more Australian about it so as we passed each other going opposite ways I said 'Fair few snakes about' which I think translates to 'Hey, watch out there are snakes on the trail' but as we all know my Australian is not very good. I think I have a block against a lot of Australian slang, every time I am listening to the radio and the DJ says 'Hold on, we got some acka dacka comin' your way' I think 'WTF?' before remembering acka dacka is Australian for AC/DC. I am pretty sure the kids (geez it is just really forty-ish of me to assume the graffiti is done by people younger than twenty or so?) that marked up this seating area don't forget what 'acka dacka' means. I always wonder what it would have been like to grow up in a place so unpopulated, and this example of (seemingly) a night out made me sort of sad. Obligingly a snake slithered by which reminded me to move on and I stopped dwelling on the hypothetical plight of unknown teenagers. I like the walk to Snug Falls, even though it is a bit out of the way. I would have taken Monte & Roberto here but I was too enamored with Fossil Cove to trade the one for the other. We saw a nice seal at Fossil Cove which all would agree is nicer than snakes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like snakes! Are we going when Steve and I come?! Please!
Cookie

Colleen said...

You do my dearest Cookie realize that we have to WALK down to the falls.
Although it isn't that far...maybe thirty minutes...a little more