Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Disaster on my mind




Yesterday as I was having my morning coffee (the whole french press, I catch myself forgetting to share when others are around like my husband) the wind is whipping all around the house and the birds are not about their normal activities so I decided to check our local paper for the weather. The report for my area was as follows:

Tuesday: Southeast, Huon, Channel and Lower Derwent Valley: Fine until patchy rain extends from the west from late morning. Mild to locally warm and mostly cloudy. Fresh to strong and gusty northerly winds before an evening westerly change. A Very High Fire Danger.

The house is cooler inside than the temperature outside and although the sky looks as if the day should be cold it is almost 68 degrees and getting warmer as the storm gets closer. The fire warnings come with the storm because of lightning strikes and then the wind to carry any fire started from the lightning. I always find it disconcerting how disaster can strike next door yet leave your house untouched. I remember the guilt over my relief as an earthquake passed and there I was unscathed only to find that a friend sustained enough damage to ruin their home.
Tasmania has not had any huge fires this summer or should I write our lack of summer. But Victoria is on high alert again, I received an text message alerting me, I suppose because we are all in the same area code, I was comforted to see a new warning system already in place. This is silly because I live in a suburb not in the bush. Still I am happy Zok is due home tonight, and I am charging up all devices, setting out the candles and scrabble board in anticipation of a power loss. We lose power a few times a year, usually in winter when Zok is abroad.
Without a scrabble partner I go to the beach to star gaze while the neighborhood lights are out. We may not lose power but it is my habit to have everything in order for when Zok comes home.
I think disaster is on my mind because I have been (trying) to read 'Shock Doctrine' by Naomi Klein. I hope there is some documentary made soon (as seems to be common these days) because the book is dense and I won't make it through in the time given to me for a library loan.
I went to walk the trail at Tinderbox, I was feeling really tired, so I was initially relieved that the trail has been shortened. Today, the weather is an after storm day crisp and bright, very windy which I think is energizing and now the reality of the shortened trail makes me pause, there is a lot of development in our area. I am ready to move further in the countryside. All I need is my lottery numbers to come up.

No comments: