Thursday, March 19, 2009

Op Shops





I am looking for books on letter pressing, or perhaps a nice 'history of' showing techniques and machines. I also wouldn't mind a book on linoleum cuts or making rugs from rags. Plus Easter is coming and I need to get things for Zok's basket, so with this in mind I have been going out of my way to do the circuit of known 'Op Shops'. I scored a good gift for the basket at 'St. Vinnies' (that is Aussi for a St. Vincents De Paul and how I miss the one in White City/Seattle) on Elizabeth St near the movie theater. At the back of the Margate Train (see photos) there are two decent second hand stores, although they mostly deal in furniture. A bit further down in Margate (the town) is the Cat Op shop where I found Shrinkwords (see Monte's blog for tales of the shrinkword escapades), and yet again this store did not disappoint. Although my hope, always is to find 'anagrams', I believe in keeping my shopping karma up by not passing up certain items so that the store will not withold treasure from me at a later date.
I got the above game for $5 which I thought was pretty steep but then I thought of all those poor cats who if not for intervention might end up in the bush, feral, and killing the wildlife. Plus who doesn't need to to learn more about mining?

3 comments:

Monte Means said...

A mining game!?! I think drinking while playing will be a must. And, um, it's White Center, not White City, but I get the slip :-)

Colleen said...

I sort of knew I had that name wrong...
It has been awhile. You are jealous of the mining game.
In the instructions it states 'a strict time limit must be set as excitement will build to the point that many will try to extend the time.'

Unknown said...

Hi there!

Just wanted to say thanks for the preserves. It's wonderful to have a taste of Tas in the northlands!

Everyone says hi (between bites of jam...)

/Dave (A)