Wednesday, March 18, 2009

her civilized behavior




When I first moved to Hobart the 'State Theatre' only had one screen, and was often run by one person, if you showed up late (as in during previews) the only staff person would be up in the projector room. The movies tend to be what in America would be called arthouse. They also sold alcohol. I was instantly in love. Although in my heart my absolute favorite movie houses are long gone, or a long way off, such as that outdoor cinema in Croatia (blog entry from August), or the cinema that was once on Pike Street in Seattle.
Those two were extraordinary because both were run by men who seemed to be running the movies for themselves, and were not fussed if you showed up to watch with them. The one in Croatia was running feature films, but the on on Pike showed some really rare old films, and more than once I was the only person there to watch.
The State Theatre has been updated, so that now there are three screens. The front is a cafe and there always seems to be around three people on staff. The screens a bit smaller, but no smaller than what I find here at the local cineplex even in Melbourne. The true wonder is how civilized the actual movie going experience is. There are a few local (silent) ads, no long, and loud advertising or horrid top forty music. The audience is quiet, do not use their cell phones, and most wait for the credits to roll before leaving. Best of all, they serve real coffee, and alcohol, which people are allowed to take into the screening room, like certified adults.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what did you watch?
Heidi

Colleen said...

I went to see 'Easy Virtue' because the 'movie show' couple said that the movie was really good, and that the American actress did really well (I hated her TV show 'Seventh Heaven')-
So since this dispensed that worry, I went.
I really liked it. I love me some Colin Firth.