Thursday, March 26, 2009

say my name say my name



I wonder why my own name facinates me. I remember learning how to spell my name, and being irritated that there were so many letters. I am certain that the other kids all had short names consisting of better letter than mine; Sage, Cheryl, Salina and the boys; Ed, Josh, Rick, how unfair is that?
Later on I found my name in the dictionary, and the entry said "girl". Just that; "girl". I remember thinking, 'Could I be more boring?'. Of course this is before I had actually met anyone actually from Ireland where the timbre of my name takes on a whole different aspect, a suddenly lovely and shiny aspect, even if the locals think my name is a bit of a joke, at least it sounds pretty, not so much like the word 'clean'.
When I was a bit older my friends all seemed to have these exotic, fabulous names filled with purpose and meaning, Thea, Amra, Marina, Kipling, Dionne, how could I compare? Yet, somehow I always harbored some love, after all it was my name, definitely I loved it enough to be jealous the few times I came across other girls named Colleen, mostly I would console myself with the fact that my initials match and therefore my first and last names together were a better match than say 'Colleen Mcgonall'. I am possessive enough even now that an exasperated sigh comes out each time an Australian adds letters to my name to make it the common U.K. spelling. I was possessive enough not to change my name upon marrying.
Well, my neighbor gave me a lovely gift today, the box (pictured above) with my name on it-well my first name, I am wondering if the printing is a persons full name-Sue (my neighbor) thinks the box is very old, and I am enamored with the idea of this other persons life, and how our name might have been as much to her as it does to me.
Sue is going on a trip to Uluru and the red center (as I think of it) and doing long walks and a bit of camping, with a group. While she is away I am going to feed the cat. I am not a cat person, and all cats sense this about me, but I will feed them, and even pet them if they don't claw me. Smudge hasn't much feeling for me though, but perhaps she suffers from a bit of survivors guilt (please see key tag for explanation!).

3 comments:

amra said...

The Bat read this and feels like he is an exception and thinks he should be mentioned.

Monte Means said...

I've always loved your name - glad you do, too. The box is a great addition to the already great guest room! Please give Mr. Smudge a rub for me...if you can catch him, that is.

Colleen said...

It is true that The Bat is an exception, as it is true that The Bat and I used to date behind your back, when you were too busy for us. Echo was also good to me...